With today’s announcement that Covid 19 is a pandemic, our organization thought we would reach out with the status of play/competition at this time. To this point there has been no guidance from our Ontario or local Health Organizations to stop competing in youth sport. Secondarily, the OBA has also not commented on any modifications to competition yet, and so will continue with our schedule unless the information changes.
We will continue to monitor the situation daily and will update everyone quickly if there is pertinent information to share.
Here is some advice from the federal government as well as the World Health Organization.
To reduce the spread of the novel coronavirus and other infections, PHAC (Public Health Agency of Canada) recommends that you:
– Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use hand sanitizer
– Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth unless you have just washed your hands with soap
– Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue or into your arm, not your hand
– Stay home if you are sick
– Avoid visiting people in hospitals or long-term care centres if you are sick
– Get your flu shot if you haven’t already as the flu virus is still circulating in Canada
Specific to our basketball competitions, we could do an easy modification to the game end congratulations and fist bump players, refs, and coaches instead of engaging in a hand shakes, and encouraging washing or using sanitizer when games are completed. Talking to the other coach before the game could facilitate this plan.
Please reach out with any questions or concerns,